11 rings in this century alone. Which one was the sweetest? pic.twitter.com/kUVtO87Z22
— Tucker Boynton (@Tucker_TnL) January 24, 2019
It’s only lunchtime, but I’m going to call it early and say that this is the best tweet of the day. It’s the final plays from all 11 Boston championships this century, in a tidy 2:18 minute clip. Getting back to the original question, though, which one was the sweetest? Let’s discuss.
11. 2007 Red Sox Winning never gets old, but there wasn’t much drama in this Fall Classic.
10. 2004 Patriots A very businesslike championship for the most dominant professional football team of my lifetime.
9. 2018 Red Sox A complete steamroller of a team, they rolled through the playoffs without much opposition. A very satisfying, even if not dramatic, championship.
8. 2014 Patriots Brady got back on the board after a ten-year drought, but one play in particular is more memorable than the game as a whole.
7. 2008 Celtics Made the Celtics relevant for the first time in almost 20 years. The real drama may have been the summer before, though, with Danny wheeling and dealing.
6. 2011 Bruins The B’s came back from an 0-2 deficit to hoist the Cup for the first time in nearly 40 years. I recognize that many Bruins fans would rank this one higher.
5. 2013 Red Sox The only competitive World Series the Red Sox have played in this century, it capped off an improbable run to a championship in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings.
4. 2016 Patriots THE FALCONS BLEW A 28-3 LEAD!
3. 2003 Patriots The Patriots never make it easy for their fans. [What I would give for a 30-point blowout next week!] The Patriots and Panthers scored a combined 37 points in the fourth quarter, and the Patriots won it (again) on an Adam Vinatieri field goal with time winding down.
2. 2001 Patriots The Patriots’ first Super Bowl championship, Boston’s first championship in 16 years, and the first championship of my lifetime. That would be tough to top, except…
1. 2004 Red Sox Curse reversed. Enough said.
What’s your number 1? Let us know on Twitter @The300sBoston and @The300sBigZ
Leave a Reply