With the Super Bowl in the rear view mirror, and the dog days of the NHL and NBA seasons upon us, it’s time to look forward to baseball season. Long summer days will be here before we know it, so now is the time to take a look at the schedules, put in those summer vacation requests, map out the road trips and book some flights.
If you’re going to make the trek to a new ballpark this season, why not get a free souvenir while you’re there? I planned my first trip to Kauffman Stadium around a Royals 50th season hat giveaway. I drove to Milwaukee a few summers ago specifically to add a powder blue Paul Molitor Brewers jersey to my collection. I once scheduled a California vacation around around Angels Oktoberfest to snag a free glass boot mug. Maybe that free powder blue Cardinals jersey is the incentive I need to finally get to Busch Stadium this summer.
With just over five weeks to go until Opening Day, The 300s will take a look at some of the best giveaways on the docket for the upcoming the 2020 MLB season. You won’t find details on schedule magnets here. We’re on the lookout for jerseys, bobbleheads, and other unique knickknacks. Stuff you can put on the shelves of your own Adam Shefter office at home. So let us help you pick out the dates to circle on your calendars, and let the Quest For 30 continue.
Today, we kick off this series by taking a look at the promotions and giveaways on tap in the American League East in 2020.
NEW YORK YANKEES
All items presented to the first 18,000 fans at Yankee Stadium unless otherwise noted.
- Friday, April 24, will be Don Mattingly Bobblehead Night.
- Sunday, May 10, will be Mother’s Day and before the Yankees take on the Red Sox that night they will hand out Yankees purses to the first 18,000 fans 18 and older.
- On Friday, May 22, the first 18,000 fans 21 and older will receive a 2000 World Champions Commemorative Beer Stein from Budweiser.
- Aaron Judge will get the bobblehead treatment on Friday, July 10.
- On Saturday, July 11, the first 18,000 fans 21 and older will receive a Yankees Camo Cap from Budweiser for Military Appreciation Day.
- Tuesday, July 21, will be another cap night. No further details yet on what type of cap will be offered this evening.
- Thursday, August 6, will be Andy Pettite Bobblehead Night.
- While not a giveaway day, Old-Timers’ Day 2020 will be Sunday, August 9.
- August the 21st be with you. The Yankees will be giving out Gleyber Torres Mandalorian bobbleheads on that night.
- Friday, September 25, could be a cool night in the Bronx so the Yanks will be handing out Yankees knit caps that night.
TAMPA BAY RAYS
Mostly bobbleheads in our highlights of Rays 2020 promotions. Bobbleheads go to “all fans, while supplies last.”
— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) February 4, 2020
- On Saturday, May 9, the Rays host the Rangers and will give out Charlie Morton audio bobbleheads.
- On Saturday, May 30, the Rays host the Brewers and will give out Willy Adames audio bobbleheads.
- Tyler Glasnow will get the audio bobblehead treatment on Saturday, June 13, as the Rays host the O’s.
- Saturday, June 27, will see the Rays hand out Ji-Man Choi audio bobbleheads as they host the Mariners.
- Tuesday, July 28, will see Blake Snell get the audio bobblehead treatment as the Rays host the Marlins.
- Saturday, August 29, will be Austin Meadows audio bobblehead night as the Rays host the Twins.
BOSTON RED SOX
No details yet on how many fans will receive each item. We’ll update this post as that information becomes available.
- David Ortiz will be inducted into the Red Sox Hall of Fame in April, and on Tuesday, April 7, fans at Fenway will receive a Big Papi Red Sox Hall of Fame Series bobblehead.
- Also getting inducted into the Sox Hall in April is Manny Ramirez. He gets his Red Sox Hall of Fame Series bobblehead on Tuesday, May 19.
- On Tuesday, May 26, Red Sox fans can receieve a Red Sox bucket hat.
- Rafael Devers bobbleheads will be given out on Tuesday, June 16.
- A hat designed by Xander Bogaerts will be given out on Tuesday, June 30. No further details are available at this time, but it has to be better than this year’s Sox spring training hat.
- On Tuesday, September 22, Fenway fans will receive a Pedro Martinez Funk Pop.
TORONTO BLUE JAYS
All items presented to the first 15,000 fans at Rogers Centre unless otherwise noted.
- On Opening Day, Thursday, March 26, the first 45,000 fans will receive a Blue Jays t-shirt as the Jays open up against the Red Sox.
- On Saturday, March 28, the Blue Jays will be giving away Vladimir Guerrero Jr. Home Run Counter bobbleheads.
- Tuesday, March 31, will be the first dollar dog night of the season in Toronto, known as “Loonie Dogs Night” north of the border.
- Monday, May 18, will be Cavan Biggio “Hit For The Cycle” Bobblehead Giveaway Day.
- Saturday, May 23, will be Blue Jays Country Day and the Jays will be handing out army green Blue Jays hats to mark the occasion.
- On Saturday, June 6, fans will receive a Lourdes Gurriel Jr. Piña Power Beach Shirt.
- On Friday, June 26, the Blue Jays will hand out Hyun-jin Ryu blue replica jerseys.
- Wednesday, July 1, will be Canada Day and fans can receive a Vlad & Dad dual bobblehead to celebrate.
- On Friday, July 31, the Blue Jays will hand out Randal Grichuk #NEWBLUE replica jerseys.
— Toronto Blue Jays (@BlueJays) January 18, 2020
- On Saturday, August 1, fans will receive a Blue Jays floppy (bucket) hat.
- “Bo Flow” Bobblehead Giveaway Day will be Monday, August 3.
- A hat designed by Hyun-jin Ryu will be given out on Saturday, August 29.
- On Saturday, September 19, some chilly fans could walk home in a Blue Jays vest.
Most giveaways listed below go to fans 15 and over, unless otherwise noted.
- For Mother’s Day on Sunday, May 10, the first 10,000 female fans 18 and over will receive an Orioles infinity scarf.
- On Monday, May 25, the first 15,000 fans will take home an Orioles beach towel.
- On Saturday, May 30, the first 20,000 fans will taken home a Jim Palmer bobblehead.
- On Sunday, May 31, the first 20,000 fans will receive an Orioles cap.
- The first 20,000 fans 21 and over at Oriole Park on Friday, June 19, will take home an Orioles floppy hat, thanks to Miller Lite.
- On Saturday, June 20, the first 20,000 fans will take home an Oriole Bird Hall of Fame bobblehead.
- The Orioles will hand out Orioles soccer jerseys to the first 20,000 fans on
Saturday, June 27.
- Birdland Hawaiian shirts will be given out to the first 20,000 fans on
Saturday, July 18.
- The Orioles will hand out 1970 World Series Brooks Robinson replica jerseys to the first 20,000 fans on Saturday, August 8, as they celebrate the 50th anniversary of the 1970 World Series.
- Saturday, August 22, will be Boog Powell bobblehead day for the first 20,000 fans as the O’s host the Red Sox.
- Sunday, September 6, will be Cal Ripken, Jr. bobblehead day for the first 25,000 fans as the O’s host the Yankees.
Highlights of the A.L. East slate include the Yankees 2000 World Champions Commemorative Beer Stein, Big Papi and Manny Ramirez Red Sox Hall of Fame bobbles, a Blue Jays powder blue jersey, and a 1970 World Series Brooks Robinson jersey.
The Blues Jays look to have the most promising giveaway slate in the division, while the Rays could stand to add some variety. The O’s have a promising slate planned as well but lose points for limiting many giveaways to fans 15 and older. Understandably, alcohol sponsored givewaways are limited to fans 21 and older by most teams, but good luck to the Baltimore retiree working at Camden Yards on June 20 trying to explain why little Timmy doesn’t get an Oriole Bird bobblehead.